Thursday, October 13, 2011

Surfboard Growth Chart

Along with the fun traditions a birthday brings I have decided to have Miah Jane's picture taken annually with her Daddy's long board.  One of my favorite ways to keep Jeremiah incorporated in our lives.  Especially during such a special time of the year when we celebrate the blessed day MJ began to heal all our hearts.

Monet Layton  you are incredible.  I had absolutely no intention to be in these shots, but Miah and Monet had other plans and I am so glad they did.  Once again Monet, THANK YOU!  Job well done!

The money shot.


Hello light at the end of the tunnel.  There's a lot of these if you can train your eye to look for them.  Undeniable (to me) someone is at the other end waiting to take your hand.


Undeniable that she looks just like our someone in this picture.

It's not the traditional family portrait, but we are all here in some capacity.


Very instinctive this little one.




Do not stand at my grave and weep,

I am not there; I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow,

I am the diamond glints on snow,

I am the sun on ripened grain,

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning’s hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circling flight.

I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,

I am not there; I did not die.

-Mary Elizabeth Frye


My Uncle read this at Jeremiah's funeral per my request.  It's also the reason behind my one and only tattoo I decided to get at thirty-three years old.  Thirty-three years old.  That's how old Jeremiah was when he died.  Thirty-three birds for thirty-three years of his life.  Jeremiah would hate this.  I've contemplated tattoos with him a time or two and wow was it always shot down.  Lucky for him there was never anything I wanted on my body permanently anyway.  Permanent has a nice ring to it now.  Jeremiah is a permanent mark on my body, my heart, and my soul.  When the time is right I hope I can convey this to Miah Jane.  I'm sure it's going to be a tough one, but I've got a lot of those ahead of me.

And Babe, if you don't like it you should have been here to make sure I didn't get it.  At least that's how I justify it to myself.



2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post!! I love your tattoo and I am sure he would be honored that you made the decision to get it. Your little band aid is beautiful and these photos truly special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have missed this post, I was just checking in. I love this one, and all of them of course:) I burst into tears when reading the poem by Mary Elizabeth Frye...I stumbled upon this poem after Gene (Doyle) died and it forever brings me back to that moment. Such beautiful words. Your tatoo is beautiful and touching and real and painful...and I love it. Miah will love it too, and somewhere far away and deep inside, Jeremiah loves it too.

    ReplyDelete

Miah Jane's Sountrack

MJ's Visitor Counter