Well it's been a while since I've been on this guy! This was a place I came to in my random free time throughout the first couple years Miah Jane was born to share the beauty in my life with her in it. That beauty never stopped of course I just needed some time to learn how to balance. I was slowly realizing there was a person before Miah Jane that I hadn't paid attention to in awhile. In finding her again (me) I found who I was before with a sprinkle of perspective and a dash of new passions. I will be honest this enlightenment was not all positive. I had a very difficult time figuring out as a single parent how to balance it all. Of course my beautiful family and some very amazing friends old and new came to my rescue and helped me fill in the gaps. Next thing I knew I'm burping, cleaning, snatching, eating like a caveman, and I'M AN AUNTIE!
My Lovey, My Boo, My Nephew
Jordan James Poppa
Born January 9, 2013
Ok. Let's get to the ice cream recipe shall we? That's what you're here for right!! Those of you that know me know I digress like a mother trucker. I can be hard to follow, but bare with me.
Paleo Chocolate Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
- 1 can (14 fl oz) coconut creamer ($1.47 a can at Trader Joes)
- Up to a 1/4 cup raw honey (the idea is to limit sugar so if you can go with less do it)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of pure organic cacao powder
- 1/4 cup of toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Kings of Leon - Only by the Night album
- Cute assistant (this human may vary depending on your needs)
- Turn on and turn up your stereo. MJ and I found this Kings of Leon album worked nicely, but to each is own. ALWAYS incorporate music if you can. Your experiences soak into your soul better that way in my opinion.
- Heat coconut milk and honey in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk egg yolks in a separate bowl. Temper the egg yolks by adding a small ladle of the warm honey and coconut milk mixture at a time, stirring continuously until completely combined.
- Refrigerate mixture until cool.
- Blend cooled mixture with cacao powder, toasted coconut, and vanilla in a blender on high for twenty seconds.
- Follow the directions on your ice cream maker and enjoy!
Voila! Yes, I realize my child looks like a ragamuffin, but a friggin' cute ragamuffin. Summer is upon us, so "hot mess" whether we like it or not is "in" this season. Hence the ice cream recipe. I eventually would like to get into detail about some things in regards to Paleo eating, but for lack of free time I just wanted to get this recipe posted. A couple quick things though, make sure your honey is raw (Trader Joes) and your coconut is unsweetened (Wholefoods). I'll try to elaborate soon. I also want to share some variations of this recipe too. Not everyone is a chocolate lover. Weird, but some of you are out there.
"I like to dance all night and some of the day....."
~Manhattan, Kings of Leon